Stuff I like, not necessarily religious OR spiritual. But don't fence me in.
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 67% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 53 commisioned officers —3 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. This is Not the first time Ferguson’s police have been heavy handed with it’s Black residents - Innocent Black man beaten by cops, then charged with bleeding on police officer’s uniforms
9. So please - don’t get it twisted
"We are where our homes are. We are where our children are in their beds. And this is affecting them. This is affecting them for the rest of their lives.”
"Um… that’s a stun grenade. That’s a stun grenade, folks.
OK. That’s gas….”
(CNN Management sends reporter message to put on gas mask.)
"How you doing Jake. Did you get hit by gas?"
"Yeah. We all did. We all got hit by gas."
No vlogbrothers video today (sorry!) because I am quite sick and in the hospital. But I’m on the mend and should be better in time for a video next Tuesday.